Do you know communication skills can affect an individual’s personality?
There are various reasons why communication skills are important for students. Communication skills help students in their study, career development, job interview, workplace, and social networking.
Due to all these social networking apps, students believe that interacting online with people is far better than interacting with them in person.
All these things affect their social skills and they start avoiding crowd and people. Such habits negatively affect their personality and they start to lack behind others.
The reason for writing this blog is to make students aware about the importance of the communication skills and why they should develop these skills?
It is heart-breaking to see a bright and hardworking student not being able to realize his full potential because of the lack of good communication skills. Developing communication skills in students should be one of the core aims of elementary education. By communication skills we mean the skills to interact intelligently with peers and higher authorities. Without developing communication skills in student’s right from the school level, students tend to become recluse and even fall-back in academic performances.
Practicing best communication skills opens many doors of opportunity. It is a step towards an incredible personality, a lucrative professional career and great leadership powers.
Even if a student is bright and talented, the inability to communicate well may result in a loss of confidence in the student. For example, when a student is asked to answer a question in front of the whole class, despite knowing the answer well, may not be able to answer. The student may have the anxiety of answering in front of a large gathering or may stammer or stutter in front of his peers. This is the result of underdeveloped communication skills and is an unfortunate scenario.
8 types of communication skills for better professionalism:
- Oral communication skills.
- Written communication skills.
- Good posture and body language.
- Tone, tempo and volume.
- Active listening skills.
- Telephonic communication.
- Mass Communication and Journalism.
- Visual Communication.
Some tips to improve your communication skills:
- Think before you act: One of the most popular life principles to live by is to think before you act. A hasty act could have adverse effects on relationships or even your personality. Therefore, thinking before you speak is one of the greatest tips to improve your communication skills. Remember, words once spoken cannot be taken back or erased from memory.
- Public Speaking: You may think that you can speak publicly only if you know the art of communication. Now try to think of it in reverse. You can improve the art of communication through public speaking. Public speaking gives you confidence and improves your body language. Both these elements form an integral part of the art of communication. Therefore public speaking is one of the best ways to improve communication skills.
- Keep a tab on your emotions: Another great tip to improve your communication skills is to train your emotions. You may not believe it, but emotions play an important role in the way we communicate with others. For example, when you need to lend an ear to a bereaved friend, you must emotionally connect with the person before you communicate. You may want to feel the other person’s emotions and try to speak and act accordingly. Manage your emotions according to the situation.
- Medium of communication: For effective communication for students, it is necessary to make a note of the medium of communication. For example, a communication with a professor or university head will look professional through a formal email and not a text message. Always keep in mind the medium of communication varies according to the situation.
- Communication skills are two – way: Developing good communication skills also include the listening. If you listen to others you grab their language too. When you speak, you want others to listen. The same way others need you to pay attention to when they talk.
- Be approachable and friendly: Being approachable and friendly is another method of improving communication skills. The more friendly you are, the more people you interact with. You get to listen to the way different people communicate. Thereby, indirectly fuelling your communication skills.
- Watch and Learn: As a student, you have the opportunity to attend seminars and talks by renowned people. Take this opportunity to learn from these seminars and talk shows. Notice how the speaker communicates with the audience. The style, tone, and body language used. Use these tips in your conversations with others.
Communication skills are the key to a successful career, be it corporate or business. When you can communicate with others, it means you are understood and the flow of work goes smooth. Developing good communication skills in students must be a priority and must be inculcated right from a young age. Communication allows you to move forward, but effective communication can work wonders.
BIPS is a one of the Best school in patiala, which allows children to learn through the practical experiences and teach them about the personality development and its importance. This is a perfect place for your child to learn new things and experience them all on the spot.